- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- 3 tablespoons apple preserves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Pound the chicken breasts until they are ½ inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Place flattened chicken on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place inside refrigerator.
In a dish, combine apple cubes, walnuts, cheddar cheese, kosher salt, pepper, nutmeg and olive oil.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Remove chicken breasts from refrigerator. Place the apple mixture on one half of the chicken breasts. Fold the other side of the breast over the apple mixture—the chicken should resemble a half moon.
After all four chicken breasts are stuffed, place them in a baking dish. Pat the outsides of the chicken dry with a paper towel, then drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside to make the glaze.
Combine ingredients for glaze in a saucepan and heat over medium heat to melt apple preserves and dissolve brown sugar (about 3–5 minutes).… Read the rest