The Leaheys chose a beef chuck roast, bone in, for this recipe. After searing the meat in a Dutch oven, garlic, onions, parsley, thyme and bay leaves are added. The ingredients are generously covered with beef broth, with a bit of tomato paste stirred into the broth, then cooked with the pot covered for about 4 hours.… Read the rest
Tag Archives | entree
Adapted from a recipe; Braised and Smoked Brisket: Barbecued Brisket Sandwiches with Firecracker Sauce by Chef David Page, Shinn Estate Vineyards, former owner of Home, as published in The Brisket Book: A Love Story with Recipes, by Stephanie Pierson
Thinly sliced and slathered with barbecue sauce, this is the perfect brisket any time of the year. And the meat tastes terrific even before smoking, so if you don’t have a grill handy, you can still enjoy it.
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground yellow mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 (5-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes; or 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes and their juices
- ½ cup hardwood chips (optional), soaked in 1 cup water for 30 minutes
- 8 potato rolls
Preheat the oven to 300° F. For the rub, in a small bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.… Read the rest
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- 3 tablespoons apple preserves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Pound the chicken breasts until they are ½ inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Place flattened chicken on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place inside refrigerator.
In a dish, combine apple cubes, walnuts, cheddar cheese, kosher salt, pepper, nutmeg and olive oil.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Remove chicken breasts from refrigerator. Place the apple mixture on one half of the chicken breasts. Fold the other side of the breast over the apple mixture—the chicken should resemble a half moon.
After all four chicken breasts are stuffed, place them in a baking dish. Pat the outsides of the chicken dry with a paper towel, then drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside to make the glaze.
Combine ingredients for glaze in a saucepan and heat over medium heat to melt apple preserves and dissolve brown sugar (about 3–5 minutes).… Read the rest
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 whole chickens, cut into pieces Preheat grill to medium-high.
Drizzle olive oil over chicken, and rub with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Place chicken on grill, skin side down. Close cover and grill 8 minutes. Flip chicken, and close cover again. Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
Transfer chicken to a plate, and let rest 15 minutes. Serve with panzanella.… Read the rest
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1–2 medium onions, sliced
12 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
(My grandmother peeled them and snapped the stems off and sliced those separately.)
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 chicken, cut into parts
½ cup flour with 1 teaspoon salt and
¼ teaspoon pepper mixed in
½ cup leftover red wine
2 pounds tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
½ cup minced parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Coat the chicken with the seasoned flour and set aside. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent; add the mushrooms and sauté until golden. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic (about a minute). Remove from pan and place in a bowl big enough for the chicken too.
Add the next 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Make sure it is steaming hot. Brown the chicken on both sides (about 6 minutes per side), and remove from pan. Deglaze the pan with the red wine; add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper (if using) and minced parsley. Simmer until soft. Add the chicken and mushroom-onion mixture into the pan and simmer for about an hour on a low heat.… Read the rest